According to the latest statistics released by the Department of Environmental Affairs, South Africa has lost 860 rhinos to illegal poaching since the beginning of 2013. Of the rhinos poached, 521 rhinos were killed in the Kruger National Park, 87 in Limpopo, 82 in North West, 79 in KwaZulu-Natal, 77 in Mpumalanga, 5 in the Eastern Cape, 4 in Gauteng, 3 in the Marakele National Park and 2 in the Free State.
The total number of people facing rhino poaching-related charges in South Africa has increased to 285 since January 2013.
Latest rhino poaching figures (as of 22 November 2013):
- Kruger National Park (SANParks) - 521 rhinos poached
- Marakele National Park (SANParks) - 3 rhinos poached
- Gauteng - 4 rhinos poached
- Limpopo - 87 rhinos poached
- Mpumalanga - 77 rhinos poached
- North-West Province - 82 rhinos poached
- Eastern Cape - 5 rhinos poached
- Free State - 2 rhino poached
- KwaZulu Natal - 79 rhinos poached
- Western Cape - 0 rhino poached
- Northern Cape - 0 rhino poached
The Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) is urging members of the public to report incidents of rhino poaching or any tip-offs to the anonymous tip-off lines 0800 205 005, 08600 10111 or Crime-Line on 32211.