By Rhishja Cota-Larson
A Vietnamese delegation — including a key National Assembly member, a well-known journalist, a national film celebrity and a senior Environmental Police officer — arrived this week in South Africa to investigate the illegal trade in rhino horn.
Following the ten-day fact-finding mission, the delegates will appear at a special press conference in Vietnam on Friday, September 20. Journalists are invited to hear them reflect on their South African experiences and celebrate the fourth annual World Rhino Day, which falls two days later on Sunday, September 22.
UPDATE 09/12/2013: ENV reports that the Vietnamese delegation joined Kruger National Park investigators as they responded to a report of a dead rhino about 20 km from the Mozambique border. The rhino had been shot and dehorned about 7 – 10 days prior to discovery. Using a metal detector, the bullet that killed the rhino was discovered. Collecting evidence such as the bullet will hopefully help investigators arrest and convict the killers.
- Mr. Vo Tuan Nhan — National Assembly member, Deputy Chairman of the Committee for Science, Technology and Environment
- Mr. Nguyen Viet Tien — Environmental Police – Vice Chief of Hanoi Environmental Police, Department of Hanoi Environmental Police
- Mr. Do Doan Hoang — Journalist, Lao Dong newspaper
- Mr. Nguyen Xuan Bac — Comedian and actor
- Ms. Nguyen Phuong Dung — Vice Director, ENV
- Ms. Ninh Phuong Thao — Communications Coordinator, ENV