A 14-year-old elephant was electrocuted in a private estate at Palapalli village in Biderkad Range of the Gudalur Forest Division in The Nilgiris on Saturday night. District Forest Officer of Gudalur S.N. Thejasvi said that the incident took place in the border of a private patta land.
The forest officer said that banana was cultivated in the estate and the owners had drawn power connection from the electricity wire illegally for the estate fence to keep away tuskers. It is learnt that the animal died when it came in contact with the wire on Saturday night. A case has been registered.