A wild elephant has died after it was electrocuted when it stumbled into low hanging electrical wires in a northeastern Indian forest, according to The Daily Mail.
This is the fourth elephant in recent months to be electrocuted by the shoddy power cables, the British tabloid reported.
According to The Daily Mail, the elephant came into contact with the 11,000 volt wires, which were dangling eight feet above ground from a bent pole in a forest range in the northeastern Indian state of Assam.
Distraught villagers have been pleading with the electricity provider to fix the broken pole for months and allege the animals’ death is at the fault of negligent authorities.
Three elephants have already died in the same area and a young boy was also electrocuted from coming into contact with the wires, the Daily Mail reported.