Luxury travel in Africa could help endangered rhinos take a life-saving road trip of their own.
Travel company AndBeyond is looking for donors to participate in their planned relocation of up to 100 black and white rhinos from South Africa to Botswana.
Designed as a response to the current rhino-poaching crisis, the initiative is intended to remove rhino from existing high-density populations that are experiencing increased poaching, and release them into the wild in Botswana.
In addition to counteracting the immediate threat, the move will bolster Botswana’s stated objective to significantly increase the country’s rhino population. In this way, a breeding pool for the species will be reinforced in an area that is not experiencing the same pressure due to poaching.
With an estimated $8 million required to carry out the project, AndBeyond is collecting donations through the independent non-profit Africa Foundation, which is tax exempt.
Donors between $5,000 and $49,999 will receive a fine art print by Beverly Joubert, signed by the artist.
Donations between $50,000 and $99,999 will be rewarded with a complimentary two-night stay for two guests at either AndBeyond Phinda Forest Lodge or AndBeyond Phinda Mountain Lodge in South Africa, or at AndBeyond Xaranna Okavango Delta Camp or AndBeyond Xudum Okavango Delta Lodge in Botswana. Donations may additionally be made by contacting the travel company’s CEO Joss Kent at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Les Carlisle, AndBeyond Group’s conservation manager.
Out of the total funds collected, 40 per cent will pay for the capture, transport, quarantine and release of the animals, and the remaining 60 per cent will be dedicated to the continued conservation, protection and monitoring of the species, spread evenly between the rhino populations in South Africa and Botswana.
All funds must be received by September of this year. The capture and relocation of the animals will begin in January 2015 and is expected to continue for a number of months.