A forest guard was killed by a rhino in Kaziranga National Park on Wednesday bringing the total number of forest staff killed by animals in the park to five this year.
Ting Sinhar , a resident of Karbi Anglong district, sustained severe injuries to his head and chest when he was attacked near Panijuri anti-poaching camp in the Burapahar forest range on Wednesday morning. He was patrolling on foot with three other forest staff when an adult male rhino suddenly attacked him from behind. He died of his injuries in hospital.
Sadly, one wildlife ranger is killed in the line of duty every four days. According to one report 75 per cent of ranger deaths over the last ten years were due to wildlife traffickers killing the rangers with the International Ranger Federation citing a lack of equipment, training and wages as contributing to the deaths. The remaining 25 per cent of ranger deaths are attributed to attacks by wild animals.
"This latest fatality is a great sadness to us all," says DSWF CEO, Sally Case. "The Foundation has always been immensely proud of the rangers that literally put their lives on the line every day for wildlife and we will continue to fund equipment and training for the brave men and women who are on the frontline of wildlife survival."