By Lydia Willgress
A Russian writer has been criticised after her kitten reportedly died of toxic blood poisoning just months after it was painted shocking pink for a party.
The kitten allegedly ingested too much of the colour and died from toxic blood poisoning a few months later, vets said.
According to local media the pink colour had poisoned the young cat after she had made it the main attraction at a pretty in pink party last September in which all of the guests had to wear pink.
But Ms Lenina claimed on Instagram that it was a hairdresser who painted the kitten and said the cat was happy and healthy when she gave it to a new owner shortly after the party.
The 35-year-old said that she had been told by a vet that it was beneficial and added that the paint was harmless to animals.
She said: 'The pink colour was especially chosen for its healing properties and also strengthens the cat's hair.
'A vet told me it was a beneficial addition.'
Ms Lenina, who is also an actress and model, posted a YouTube video on her Twitter page showing off the cat after the event.
Alongside the clip she wrote: 'Friends, look at the pink kitty.'
Among those who criticised her was artist Yuri Kuklachev who described the stunt as pointless and unnecessarily cruel.
There is also an online petition, which gathered several thousand signatures, demanding that local police investigate. Photos. Video.